View Single Post
      01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #121
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

I understand what you're saying, but I think it might be different this time and might pull in a different type of vendor. I say this because the people who have modified BMWs prior to the 335 were BMW people who just wanted the fastest BMW they could build. I expect the 335 (when it gets cheap enough) to pull in people who aren't "BMW people" for the first time, and I consider myself to be on the leading edge of that. I had no desire to own a BMW, but I did want a turbo I6/6MT/AWD 4dr and that led me to the 335. I wouldn't be surprised if thousands of other people who want a lot of horsepower potential and would otherwise drive a muscle car or rally-type car don't end up doing the same thing because it has all the ingredients they are looking for.

The thing most likely to stop them is if they can't be kept on the road at reasonable cost. But the community seems to be near critical mass for having the knowledge commonly available to do fuel pump and water pump and injector swaps without bankrupting the owner the way dealer prices would for a person paying 10k for the car.
Appreciate 0