View Single Post
      07-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Jay2998
ninja
Rep
Drives: 04 Navigator 00 Civic

FL emissions to match CA

I searched but was unable to locate any other threads covering this.

{Florida Gov. Charlie Crist said yesterday that he is set to sign executive orders tomorrow matching California's standards for greenhouse gas emissions from automobiles, adding the nation's fourth-most-populous state to the roster of those embracing aggressive new limits on vehicle emissions.

Tearing a page from the playbook of a fellow Republican, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Crist said he would also set a goal of slashing the state's greenhouse gas emissions to 20 percent of 1990 levels by 2050, in line with targets that many scientists say are necessary to contain global warming.

Crist plans to adopt California's tough standards for reducing greenhouse gases under executive orders tomorrow.

Crist has been circulating drafts of his proposals, which would also raise energy conservation standards for new buildings and require utilities to produce 20 percent of their electricity from renewable sources.

"We have some ambitious goals we're shooting for, but I think Florida deserves that and so does the country," Crist said in a telephone interview. Asked whether he was worried about the cost of meeting those targets, he cited the effect on the state's tourism industry, saying "there's an economic cost to not doing these things."}-By Steven Mufson Washington Post

Kinda puts a damper on the tuning plans of quite a few individuals. I personally like the idea that we could get away with cat delete pipes and other modifications without concerning ourselves with emissions testing. I think maybe Crist just has a thing for Schwarzenegger.
Appreciate 0