03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
As I mentioned earlier..... IronX could dull (not damage) a bare metal rim. I had the pleasure of this happening to me a while back. I was working on a vintage 911 that had polish Aluminum wheels. I had to spend 2 extra hours polishing the wheels both by hand and machine afterward. Not all aluminum wheels react this way but all it takes is one time and you get gun shy.

If you layer a few coats of the CG wheel wax or applied some form of coatings on the wheels, you will find that all future cleaning could be done with car soap and water. The chemicals stated earlier will only be in the mix when the need arises. I find that IronX will strip wax and I am assuming Sonax will do the same. All strong cleaner could strip wax base on the dilution. This is the reason I like products that I could dilute/tailor to suit my needs.

Remember what I said, there is no such thing as "Magic in a Bottle" that works on everything and in every situation. The trick is to clean them often and you wouldn't have to use all these chemicals.

Permanon could be use for paint but it requires a surface that is bare (no wax/no sealant) . You will have to strip your current LSP. I am not sure you want to go through all of this work. A new product by CarPro call Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant might be better for the paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydro...t-coating.html

You could use this product on top of your LSP just as long the surface is clean with a car shampoo that has no gloss enhancer (such as
Ultima Paint Guard Wash - http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-car-wash.html ) prior to its application. I been trying this out for several weeks now and I am quite happy with the result. It makes your surface hydrophobic and you will get some crazy beading. This product is also great for those who are looking to add a bit of slickness to coatings such as Cquartz and Opticoat.

Good Luck.
Ouch, its things like this that make me afraid to use these products. If worst comes, ill just use soap and water or quick detailer to clean the wheels. By layering the wax on, do you mean layer right after layer or layer on after washing it everytime? Basically what I mean is, when waxing the wheel, right after you wipe the dry wax off, do you start waxing the rims again?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0