03-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
MacPherson Strut.

Typical "race car" geometry would dictate, yes, thicker front bar would result in less grip up front thus increasing a chassis's tendency to understeer. But the MacPherson type strut design has unfavorable camber gain once the suspension compress past roll center. Therefore, on a car with limited camber, preventing additional roll increase in the front MIGHT actually improve grip in the front rather than take it away.

HAVING SAID THAT. You can't just throw thicker front bar and assume it'll reduce understeer. It has to be a combination of factors, one mainly of reducing the suspension's compression past roll center. If you have a very stiff suspension, with moderate amount of camber, the result will likely be positive. If you have a soft-ish suspension and factory camber, the problem might actually be exacerbated. If you have any combination there of, or if the vehcile's lowered significantly, the result then become a little bit less predictable.
great post! I have all M3 upper/lower control arms, Meyle HD tie-rods & coil-overs so my suspension is very stiff. .... so this should work well.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0