03-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Did BMW find out what was causing the knocking sound?
Yep, just had a test drive with one of their Tech fellas. He reckons its the transfer case starting to go. As to why this is only noticeable when slowing down is beyond me tbh...

I had read many moons ago about all the bull$hit about having exactly the same tyres thread all round (something he actually did re-iterate) and the need to change all 4 tyres on Xdrive cars. Given that BMW offers (on M pack for example) staggered wheel options (wider at the back) on their Xdrive cars means its complete nonsense and they're just covering their asses for a poor quality transfer case. To be fair though this problem is common also to all non real 4x4 (like Pajeros/ Shoguns; Toys; Subarus etc.) of the like Audi and Mercedes.

Interestingly he told me that during training they told their staff that these transfer cases do not live past 120000 km which seems to confirm plenty of litterweb stories.

From memory its just a case of the actuator motor rather than the entire transfer case but I have a lot more digging to do. I did however mention it to him and he smiled and said that a customer had showed him a video and that you could get the part on German Ebay. Fair cop me says. From what I remember its a €200 part and about 20 mins (1 hr if your a mechanic newby like me) work.

If anyone's got any advice / experience with X-Drive, it would be welcomed!

1. Is xdrive on LCI same and pre-LCI?
2. Just the tranfer case actuator motor/ could it be something else?

And I arrest my case: This car is really starting to pi$$ me off, majorly
Appreciate 0