View Single Post
      01-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
ct087ct087
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by llm3000 View Post
actually, i talked to the service centre about when to do my first service for my E93, and the guy told me that the only mod i can do without voiding the warranty is the wheel only. if i lower my car with after market suspension, they could void the whole suspension warranty. if they find out PBX (of course they wont if install properly) or any chip mod is done, they could simply void the warranty for the whole computer and electronics. same as muffer and any other after market items....

so now... i am standing here, looking at the PBX, lowering springs, brake pads, muffer and dont know what to do... sigh. i plan to sell it after one year or so, if i go for all these mods, then there wont be any warranty and will affect the resell value. what do you guys think?
if you mod the suspension, of course they won't provide warranty for your own modded suspension. However, the related stock parts should be still under warranty.

they may reserve the right to void the warranty for such parts if the problem caused by your mod. however, in general, they know very well the car is tolerant for "mechanical" parts mod such as suspension, sway bar, brake kit, etc. therefore, they will still provide warranty for those stock parts.

for the engine/chips stuff, it's a bit tricky. not so sure but i guess they can only change the entire stock module instead of wiring/replacing individual chips. so most likely they have no option but just ask you to pay for the replacement, if any.

My phase1 mod(s) were wheel/suspension/sway bar/lighting then brake kit which all were done in the first 3 months.....before the mod, they reminded me the possibility of warranty void. after the mod, they haven't mentioned again at all. no issue on the 1st year end service. some stock parts (near front suspension, forgot what it was) had been replaced during the 2nd year end service.

so my suggestion is, just mod the mechanical parts, don't touch the engine until your warranty expired.
Appreciate 0