Thread: My E92 335i log
View Single Post
      08-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #26
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Last weekend I did a CIC retrofit to the car.

Picked up a bunch of bits over the past few weeks:
E9x CIC screen, wiring, connectors and glove box USB
E84 X1 CIC head unit, controller, reverse camera and Combox unit.

Pretty happy with it, as it's so much better than the dated CCC unit.

I grabbed the E84 bits, as I was specifically after a 2012+ CIC unit with the C1A firmware, and E84's were built right up to about 2015, so this opened my options up more when looking for a suitable donor car, particularly as the X1 is a less desirable car for enthusiasts and part pullers.

You can script activate C1A firmware CIC units and enable nav without needing an emulator, or someone with an ICOM cable to update the CIC firmware to C1A. Yoda aka PeterY has previously covered this in his build thread. The process was quite involved but my CIC unit is basically coded as if the car left the factory with the unit.

Looking forward to getting the combox in and enabling BT audio and BMW apps.

One interesting thing I realised was the E84 X1 came with an OEM reverse camera that integrates with the CIC unit. OEM reverse cameras were never a thing on the E9x.

After some discussion with NickCo43 on the E9x Discord server, I figured I may aswell look into retrofitting the OEM X1 reverse cam and camera module to my car.

I'm starting to rethink my plans to to beyond simply changing the fluid on my 6at to improve it. If I can find a decent 6mt box from a wreck, I may just start piecing together a manual conversion.
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00