08-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #124
mglax13
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N54 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Even with the pictures, I probably can't tell you, but what I CAN tell you are three things that should help you figure it out.

1) The MOST bus is a ring topology. Each controller on it has an input and an output. Imagine I have three devices on it, the MULF, the headunit, and the Logic7 amplifier. The bus might be set up such that the MULF output goes to the headunit input, then the headunit output to the L7 input, then the L7 output to the MULF input. In this way, if the MULF wants to send a message to the headunit, it says "Hey headunit, X." The headunit is the first to receive it, so it reads it and takes it off the bus. If the headunit wants to reply to the MULf, it puts a message out on the bus saying "Hey MULF, Y." The L7 amp is the first to get it, but it recognizes the message is not for it, so it just forwards it. Then the MULF receives it.

2) order doesn't matter. All this means is that every output must be matched to an input, but as long as they're all matched thusly, it'll work. If you find the lead that's the MULF output, you can plug that into the block there directly opposite the headunit input and away you go.

3) With the car turned on, the outputs will be lit up. For example, in that block behind the seat bolster, there are a couple green fibers coming from the trunk area - those will both be the MULF. There'll be a couple coming from up front, those'll be the headunit. Of the two from the MULF, one will be lit up read and one won't be. The red one is the output, and the dark one is the input!

The only other caveat is that there's a diagnostic port in the pedal trim that's basically a MOST connector, but with a cap on it that just optically shorts input to output. I THINK that's always wired in series with the headunit since it'd be silly to run extra fiber back to the back seat, but I'm not certain that's true.
Alright, thanks, I guess that does help a bit, I just need to wrap my head around it. I basically took pin 3 from the connector with the 3 fibers and swapped it with pin 1 on the connector with 2 wires, and I lost all sound in the vehicle (radio, nav, voice control etc), so clearly that's not it. Then I swapped pin 3 from the 3 fiber connector to pin 2 from the 2 fiber connector. Same result, so I'm assuming that I should just leave the alone.

Last edited by mglax13; 08-02-2014 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0