View Single Post
      10-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #49
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
I'm not 100% sure that the this is the reason for the rule but my explanation would be that the timing chain tensioner is on the "loose" side of the chain when the engine is turns in its running direction. Turning it into the other direction would put load on the chain tensioner and guides which is suboptimal. Probably won't kill it right away but put stress on the mechanism that is wasn't design for.
A Mik sighting :-) Hope you've been doing well.

Thanks for the reply. That's my understanding for the reason as well. However, there shouldn't be a large resistance being placed on those things when slowly hand turning the engine, should there (thinking of the Lisle video and/or manual transmission offroad vehicles where they often stall an engine and slide backwards down a steep section, which will spin the engine backwards until they engage the clutch, and I'm not aware of that causing issues)? When you were manually turning the engine did you find you needed to apply a lot of torque/tension to rotate the balancer?

Another question then on putting the belt on with the Lisle tool. You must've used it differently than the company recommends if you turned the harmonic balancer in the clockwise direction? But it still worked ok to get the belt to slide on, even though the tool is designed to slide the belt on when turning counter clockwise? It looks like the angle of belt engagement will be much steeper when trying to use it in the clockwise rotation.