09-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
This is an oft-overlooked culprit regarding vibrations felt through the steering. I know OP mentioned that he has new ST coilovers, but I'm curious about the upper strut mounts/bushings. Did OP replace those too, or reuse the originals? If replaced, what brand? I've heard reviews of folks having bad luck with non-OE or non-OEM upper strut mounts.

Check out this video:
The first 30 seconds are all you need to see. I'm not sure if this guy's problem was installation error or crappy Chinesium parts (or a bit of column A and a bit of column B), but in any event, an upper strut bushing had bit the dust and the failure was manifesting itself as a shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds. This instance was obviously a pretty bad failure immediately visible to the naked eye, but I suspect a part that is "only" severely worn, would cause a similar problem.
I replaced all of the "supporting hardware" (shock mounts, spring pads, etc) with FCP euro's stuff. Everything was the same quality as OEM.

After throwing my front wheels and tires on the roadforce machine, there was only the slightest imbalance on my front left wheel. It only took a 15g wheel weight to fix it, which seems like a really small imbalance for the vibration I was feeling. Both wheels had no bends or deformations in them.

I haven't had a chance to drive on the freeway yet, but the steering does feel a hair smoother. Will check back after I put some more miles on it.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0