View Single Post
      03-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #53
HorizonLEDs
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradokid View Post
Zain can I ask if these flicker on start up? Is this a common trait with LEDs that I've heard of? Also are these ok to fit my e92 as it has the adaptive lights?
Hi, yes the flicker question was bound to come up lol... when you turn on the ignition on any BMW car the CANBUS system sends small voltage currents to all the cars exterior bulbs to see if there is a complete circuit for each light.

If there isn’t then it throws up bulb errors on the dash, its how the CANBUS Error system works on newer cars.

Now because the LEDs can technically run on very low voltage they start to cause this flicker when its testing the system as small currents are shooting through the cars wiring.

But when they car is fully started and the alternator is charging and the lights are switched on they eventually get full 12V power so they stay on constantly after that. This won’t cause any damage to the LED bulbs though.

I must stress though that not all models of BMW flicker, its only some of them it even depends on the other options you have on your car such as the Sat Nav, Bluetooth kits etc... every car is different and I can't tell you exactly until you've tried them in your own cars. The flicker only lasts a few seconds thats all. They will not flicker when the car is driving or started, only when the CANBUS system runs checks.

There are a few people who have coded their cars differently to avoid this by going deep into the ECU etc... but we don't get involved in this side of things nor do we recommend it, as its only a few seconds of flicker upon unlocking the doors/startup. And its a rather dim flicker from what I have seen.

I hope that explains it all?
Appreciate 0