View Single Post
      03-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiEgs90 View Post
I’m looking to throw on some new tires this year since my summer tires are about done. 4/32. I’ve had on 16” Pirelli P7 Summer Go Flats for about 3-4 years during April-Nov. I’m thinking of ditching summers for a performance all season tire throughout March-December. I’m doing this so I’m not stuck with summer tires on and a freak cold spell comes around during the months of March, April, October. I’ve read using non star approved BMW tires being bad for the AWD system, but I don’t know how that’s possible. I also read that using non run flats and non star approved tires will result in a more floaty ride because of the suspension being designed to run on RFTs. I’ve been using non run flat Dunlop Winter 4D Sports tires for the last 3 years during winter. The car is definitely floaty over dips at high speeds. So with that being said I was wondering if anybody likes all season high performance or all season ultra high performance tires? I like the idea of the longer treadlife as opposed to summer tires which do not have a tread life warranty and seem to wear down rather quickly. Like the look of the Kumho Ecsta PA51s and the Sumitomo P03. Maybe a Kumho PS31 if I want to stay with summers. As long as the speed rating and load index is fine I don’t see the big deal with ditching BMW approved tires.
Forget approved tires. Even BMW dealerships sell "non-approved" tires. It is one of those BMW gimmick they use to rack up profit.
Truth is BMW suspension is made with RFT in mind, but it does not require too much to get it in order. xDrive are base suspension, so going better shocks would help (as far as I know, B4 are bit harder than OE, and many people like on street KONI Special red).
What you could do is change strut/shock mounts to Monroe ones. They are cheap, made out of rubber and not foam like BMW ones. That is go to uber cheap way to negate effect of not having RFT's.
I run in winter on my 328 205/55 R16 snow tires, and works like charm. Reason is all new potholes that pop out in winter, and thick sidewall really helps protecting suspension from damage.
Appreciate 0