08-30-2021, 05:51 AM   #12
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Before even looking to replace your car I would gather some actual figures for the 2 or 3 litre variants rather than simply guestimating them.
You may find that there is less than £170 difference in road tax, for example. My N54 35i was £555 last time I taxed it and I recently looked at a 6.75 litre twin turbo Bentley and the tax for that was £270! The N55 variant is about the same as the Bentley i.e. half the price of the car I have!
Also shop around online for the insurance. My wife's 1 litre Smart car is £10 per year MORE expensive to insure than my 35i. Both 2007 cars, same mileage limit, same company, only difference is the BMW is in a garage and her car is on the drive in front of the garage! .com!
You may also find that the fuel used is not significant either since the larger, more torquey engine will be lolloping along whereas the little 4 cylinder will have to work harder to give you the same acceleration etc.
As most on here are saying you'll regret downsizing so unless the numbers really do show a significant saving (which I doubt they will) the decision is made for you!
That's some very good points!

Thank you
Appreciate 0