E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I don't know that I'd say it's distortion as much as it is interpretation. They were exploiting a loophole that has now been closed, simple as that. Happens ALL of the time. It's not like Red Bull are the big bad guys, other teams look for loopholes to exploit as well!

In my mind, cheating would be explicitly doing something completely against the rules and attempting to hide it. Which does happen from time to time unfortunately. You mentioned that this was clearly deemed cheating, but that's not actually the case according to the stewards. The FIA had to CHANGE the rule to forbid what Red Bull were doing--which means they weren't doing something completely against the rules as they stood previously.

I know it's semantics, but again...exploiting loopholes will always be cheating to some people and not to others.

I don't take a side either way. I just think it's an important discussion to have.

And FYI I'm not a Red Bull fan any more than I am a Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus or Mercedes fan. So I don't bring any prejudice into this conversation either way.
To me, cheating will be something more like race fixing, stealing intellectual properties, etc.

However, what RBR had done was just being one step smarter and ahead of rival of exploiting a loophole where everyone could have done it too!

For me, McLaren fan.