11-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
photo 2 is the catalyst
photo 3 is the DPF which I smashed out but I left the catalyst in and welded back up.
I think the can may actually be stainless but the turbo and exit side didn't look stainless (i could be wrong) but a mig welder would weld it back up fine as that's what I used and I have welded stainless before with a mig,
granted it may not last as long as the stainless but like I said I have welding stainless before with a mig.
I welded a stainless exhaust on a Subaru I used to have and after 4 years it was still going strong with no signs of giving up, this was plenty of time for me as I don't tend to keep cars that long and if i did im sure i could pick up a duff DPF from someone to repeat the process and it would still work out cheaper than a new DPF which would almost certainly give you problems way before then.

photo 2 where the catalyst is you can see the turbo flange which is the inlet (turbo side) and photo 3 is the exit.
Thanks Scotty. That explanation makes sense too me. I watched a show called "How its made" on DFPs. It was a large one for like a semi tractor trailer type engine. The internal was the same white material. The design i saw built was like 5 or 6 or them stacked like a layered cake though. Each piece looked like a round cake layer with a 3 or 4" diameter hole in the middle. There were electrical leads running to it. That show is ultra cool. Another episode showed how our 335D engines are assembled. Google away ...
Appreciate 0