07-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #178
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
George-
Thanks to you apparently my friends now think I'm this expert detailer. HA! I'm just using your experience! Thank you so much!

I have a friend of mine who has white overspray (probably spray paint) on their black Rav4. I was thinking about claying it and possibly using some 3M rubbing compound it I have to. Any advise here?

While we are at it how many times should one use the same clay bar? I've already used it on two different cars. and what are your thoughts on the Sonus Clay bar system for future washes of my own car. (Obviously not for the overspray issue.)

Thanks George!
bartman32, Ron offered some great advice. 1 - 4 times a year is a typical range detailers use to clay bar their vehicle. The more accurate answer is clay as needed.

Say you used a clay bar on your vehicle last month and you drive through a construction zone and you pick up tar and other contamination that does not come off with your typical washing and drying procedure, then it would be appropriate to clay even though you did the previous month.

There are very few variations of clay on the market, some are fine grade some are medium grade, but other than that there's not much of a difference.

I recommend Ron's advice on chopping the clay up into ~15 pieces and using them once and throwing them away. I just clayed a new vehicle I picked up and neglected to follow that method and did find some minor imperfections added due to the clay process and using 1 piece of clay continuously over the course of the detail. Ron's method would minimize that, and I plan on following that same method next time I use a clay bar on my vehicle.

Keep up the great work, and let us know how you make out w/ the paint overspray and your own vehicle.

Ron - thanks for chiming in, great advice.

George
Appreciate 0