View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #33
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
I had the same setup on my 2008 xi coupe. Drop looks good but on NJ roads it felt like shit. Wait until you hit a big pothole and it takes your sour from the sound and feel. I was ok for the first 6 months but after the newness wore off I was left with an uncomfortable ride that wife, family, and friends complained about whenever they were passengers. I hope your roads are better and it works out for you. I ordered some eibachs to see if they feel better and have not installed them yet.
The harshness MAY be the struts and not so much the springs. In the front the bilsteins have essentially four separate sets of seals (on the main piston itself inside the fluid chamber, the floating piston at the gas/fluid boundary, the lower piston rod/shock body, and then the housing sliding in the lower strut tube) each of which has stiction to some extent. They bind/stick on small hard bumps then suddenly let go.

Later this summer I am hoping to try the konis, have had McPherson strut sport bilsteins on other cars and they were all pretty harsh.

Don't get me wrong they are great shocks and the high pressure gas monotube is a far superior design to twin tubes, but I think putting them into a McPherson strut compromised that to some extent. On rough pavement they drive me a little crazy on my other car.
Appreciate 0