View Single Post
      09-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #108
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

I was finally was able to knock out the fuel pump and level sender units this weekend after some really hot weather and a parts order issue.

I made the mistake of ordering from Pelican Parts. I did not realize they were part of the ECS/Bavauto buy out and consolidation. This time around their warehouse staff sent me an open box fuel pump. The Continental/VDO seal was broken and the box was dirty inside, the pump itself was dusty and missing packing and the replacement seal. The item should not have been sold as new. It took 20+ emails to get the situation resolved. DO NOT BUY FROM ECS OR PELICAN!!

Anyways, onto the repair. The leak itself was coming from the level sender unit on the driver's side. At 125k and 13 years I figured it was worth the effort and $150 to replace the fuel pump as well. It's the only part that has left me stranded in a BMW, ever. My first E36 had the fuel pump die about a mile from my parents' house back in 2003.

I've done a few of these on E36s and from what I remember it was really quick, especially if you're just doing the level sender. The E91 was a bit more tricky with all of the connections.

The leak got a bit worse after a couple weeks -

New units -

Out with the old -

New seal -

New pump -

Job done!

All in, it took me about 2 hours. Each fuel fitting seemed to have its own trick to removing. I also had a tough time removing the ring fastener on the passenger side, even with the special tool. Finally was able to get it out using my beam wrench. E36s I've done previously usually came loose with a couple blows of a mallet and screwdriver.

And... still no wheels for the black car.
Appreciate 4