meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschuss View Post
It's hard to get excited about this upcoming 'fix' considering that
1. Recent production cars (March 2008 to present) allegedly don't have the problem, yet I drove one and was quite laggy.
2. June 2006 to Sept 2007 production cars can get the update but might experience more engine noise? I guess this assumes that those cars had not been already updated to 29.2+, what BS. Plus if there's 'more engine noise', that implies that with this update, the waste gates are open at idle, not closed. F***

-Bill
1. I second that.

2. No. From the Autobild article, it becomes quite clear what BMW means by that. The reason for the software "fix" was wastegate rattle (as described in SIB111307 due to faulty hardware that was employed up to build date 09/07. They thought the ill side-effect of keeping the wastegates open during idle (namely: Lag) would go unnoticed ("perceivaby only the most sensitive drivers") which it did not. Now, they undo the change by a new software with old wastegate behaviour for unaffected cars (09/07 to 03/08) at the next regular software update (or, presumably, on request).

OPTIONALLY, they offer the same "downgrade" as a fix for cars built before 09/07 if the owners feel affected by Lag. However, choosing this downgrade can bring on wastegate rattle noise for those cars ("slightly increased engine noise levels under certain circumstances."). This is not caused by OPEN wastegates, but by CLOSED ones. Thus, as a pre-09/07 owner, you can have rattle OR Lag, but not both. Choose your poison.

So from January 2009 you have, according to build date:

a) pre 09/07: choice of 1) possible rattles (with "no-lag" software) or 2) Lag with default software for these build dates, but no rattle.

b) 09/07 to 03/08: no rattle and no Lag, if you got the "no-lag" software (which will be the default from January onward for these cars).

c) from 03/08 (MSD81): Allegedly never had rattle issues, so the software was never changed, thus, they can never have Lag at all (which you and I doubt).
Appreciate 0