06-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyVR View Post
Could you tell us more about the Vanos solenoids - why do you say replace them and not clean them? In your experience should they be inspected/replaced at a certain mileage? or just when replacing the timing chain?

I ask this because I have issues with hesitation/misfire/no power under 2000rpm at times, but it runs perfectly above 2000rpm, so I suspect the VANOS solenoids could potentially be the cause, but I've never had any VANOS or timing related fault codes.
Logic for changing these solenoids is purely based on having seen nigh on 100 of these cars over the years with these faults, re the solenoids yes we have cleaned and refitted them in the distant past, mainly to help save customer some money, thing is post work some cars would come back with a fault and you ended up replacing the solenoids in any case and the fault would finally disappear and the customer didn't have to re visit the issue again, so for me/us you know what you have to do going forward, hence for me its belt and braces you replace them when you do one of these jobs and don't opt to clean and re fit, plus you have to ask if they are X state when removed how have they been effected by being contaminated.

Their a fair bit of money to buy (£84.17 each plus VAT) but as stated once I get one of these vehicles through the door and identify the issue say it s a chain and guide job everything gets done and guess what once its done never have any re call issues.

I've actually got a 1 series in here now having chain and guides done(no oil pressure issues)but both vanos solenoids were corrupt due to carbon and other deposits and when the rocker cover was removed it proved a point shall we say. The other thing is the potential to corrupt the adjusters if things are left too long and these ain't cheap at £317 or so each plus VAT. So 100% IMO get a sniff of an issue change the solenoids.

Sure there's people that report they've cleaned the solenoids re fitted them with no issues and I accept this finding but doing what I do seeing what I see I chose to replace

Last edited by old grey steve; 06-20-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0