activereality
Newb to BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe (E92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbek1 View Post
Thanks so much for your help man. I have a couple questions if you don't mind looking them over'

1. Referencing the memory issue, you said "There is usually a requirement to have the HU connected to a constant 12 VDC source (either battery or an 'always on' connection via a fuse box)". What does this mean exactly? Here's instructions they sent me to troubleshoot myself before sending the MOST adapter back:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5c...1oS3Vfd2M/view

Mine looks like the picture on the left with both the red and yellow wire. What do you think I would need to do to maintain my settings? When I go into my settings and change it to the units I want, all is fine. When I turn the car off and then back on, it'll display the correct units on the screen between the speedo and tach but as the HU is booting up, it'll eventually switch to metric.

2. The original instructions had me connect the yellow wire from the MOST adapter to the yellow wire from my HU (BATT +12V) and the red wire from the MOST adapter to the blue wire from my HU (ANT-CONT). But the directions from the above link implies that both the yellow and red wire from the MOST should be connected to the same yellow BATT +12V wire from the HU. Is this right? I rewired it like this and it seems to have fixed the audio problem I think. I would just hate to go out to my car in a few hours and it be dead because the HU stayed on or something.

Besides the memory/audio problem, the HU is perfect. Very fast processor, large clear display, a lot of different features to choose from, and doesn't look too cheesy. Anyways, sorry if I just blasted you in the face with these questions all of a sudden. If you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Hey there!

No problem at all, we learn together!! Great to hear that the unit is working well (other than these small gripes/problems). I almost went with one of these kinds of units for my e92, but decided to get the Dynavin, mostly due to the US available support. I am sure some of these Android models are very nice and work great, I just wanted to ensure I could get assistance from someone from my local country haha! Also, I hit them up via FB, and they contacted me back in a super short period of time and answered all of my annoying questions!

Great job getting more documentation from the company! They sometimes seem to hide things on their website- it is available, just hard to find! haha.

First up, just to clarify, these appear to be two _different_ problems.

Problem 1. Settings not being saved at next startup (after some time has passed)
Problem 2. No sound at startup -Intermittently

They both have the commonality of being at startup, but they are different discrepancies (in all likelihood).

Problem 2. Seems you might have fixed this with their updated wiring instructions. I agree it is odd that they seem to be instructing to connect both the red and yellow to 12VDC 'Switched' (not a car guy, so someone else can clarify if wrong - I am assuming 'switched' means 12vdc supplied once the key/ignition is 'ON'). The Adapter can get power from the accessory power, as the MOST Adapter does not need power if the radio is not on/in use.

Problem 1. What I meant here, by 12VDC constant - these HU's generally need a constant voltage source to maintain a 'volatile' memory. This is memory that is lost after being powered down. This is typically done by either tapping into a wire, or using a fuse tap (i prefer fuse taps, cleaner, and no cutting into OEM wires.

This can take a bit longer to isolate, as the HU might keep the memory, charged by something internal (small UPS or Caps), or it may continue getting accessory power from the car, so you would have to close the doors, lock them, then sit there for 20 minutes (i think that is the ACC relay cutoff). After that, the memory of the HU would be lost, and any settings would be factory defaults when you power back up - which will also make boot up a bit longer I would think.

The research I have done on my own e92 335i from 2008 is that the fuse panel on the passenger side, behind(actually in front of) the glove compartment has some 'always live' 12VDC slots. I'll be looking in there later this week to find a slot for me to use for my Dynavin unit coming in. However, (again from my limited understanding) these fuse boards are all a bit different based on year, model, options (the last being a major factor).

Refer to any manual that came with the unit for that constant power - or pop a link here and I'll see if I can decipher some of it .

- Thanks!
Appreciate 2