04-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #15
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Carlos,

I have nothing but sympathy for you having to stump up £1100 for a SERVICE. I took mine in for an "oil change service" at 18,000 and this ended up costing me £300+ VAT and I thought this was OTT.

Think I'll shop around and get a fixed service quote (replacement parts aside) when I am due a real service later this Year.

Dealers really do take the pi££. I don't trust any of them. If I had the time and inclination I would sit over the mechanics and supervise everything they do and check against the service sheet they price and then offer to re -evaluate their charges

Inflated bills are mainly down to the riduculous labour rates they charge. I am a Contracts / Cost Engineer (bean counter) and it's second nature for me challenge rates etc.

There should be a Government body that regulates dealers labour rates a bit like with the electric and gas suppliers. The car industry is massive in terms of trunover and it's contribution to the economy and delaers have been getting away with day light robbery for Years and you and I have been conditioned to expect a big bill with vastly over recovered garage overheads etc.
Appreciate 0