View Single Post
      04-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Yeah, I found it and it seems like a nice little tool, unfortunately after I filled it all out I found it didn't seem to work with Excel 2008 for Mac. I'll have to try at work.

Anyway, I sat on the computer late last night reading all the information I could and I've learned a lot about it all, but I still have plenty of questions.

Should I expect to not get as good of a deal as a first time buyer? I was thinking about letting the SA know that I WILL be back, and that I'd like to do business with him again if he gives me a good deal and keeps me happy with this lease.

I've been thinking about it and to me it seems like the best way to go in is with a number for the car and fees all together. Tell him I don't care how they split it up, but this is the number I'd like in the end (excluding non-negotiables like tax, tags, title, etc).

And of course, all of this is in a friendly matter of fact type way, not pushy or aggressive, just firm so that he knows that I mean business. I'm not going into it thinking he's my opponent, I'm thinking we're a team to try to get the price to where I like it.

I think I want to walk in with a deposit check already written out, and let him know that if I'm very happy with the price, I'll hand him the check right there, otherwise I'm going to at least go talk to other dealers. That way he has the incentive of a sale sitting right in front of him the whole time.

I know these may seem like silly questions, but does all of this sound good? Like I said, I have no experience negotiating with a dealer and want to make sure I go into it right and don't say anything wrong.

A few other numbers questions, everyone on here says they paid "$xxx over invoice", I assume that's before fees? When you say to aim for $500-1000 over invoice, how much more can be expected for the required fees (ignoring tax, tags, title, etc, just dealer fees, security, acquisition, doc, etc). I'm trying to build a range of numbers where I'd be very happy and hand a check over right then, and where I'd rather go ask around first. I want to be ambitious of what I can get, but I don't want to be overly ambitious and find I'm never going to hit the right numbers.

Thanks again for the help. I know this thread may be familiar to several others here, but it means a lot to me to get a little personal reassurance and help. If I'm about to buy a $50,000 (or even lease), I want to make sure I'm prepared to go into the deal smart.
Appreciate 0