View Single Post
      01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq_328xi View Post
Thank you for the advice, I intend to do this when it hits 100km along Inspection 2.

With regards to type of oil and early morning warm-up, I notice that my oil temp doesnt come close to half until am already close to half-hour on the highway ,,,, Does it really take that long to warm up? Should I use a different oil class for winter and summer?

Also, if most of my commute, 85%, is highway, will this have an effect on what oil change interval I follow?
1. Depends on what you're definition of Normal Operating Temperature (NOT) is. You should be able to progressively rev higher once you see the gauge start to move.
2. It can take longer to warm up if you're in a colder climate. The 5W30 should be sufficient.
3. The car has an electric water pump that doesn't even turn on till its needed. This helps the engine warm up significantly faster. Your heater will be a better indicator of when your car is starting to reach NOT than when the oil gauge goes to 225-250.

You're over thinking this a little too much though. While its good to warm things up for long, long term durability (like 200k miles), the fluids that have been put in are designed to work for the Joe Shmo who just gets in his car and drives to work.
It's not a racing engine that requires a specific warm up sequence (which is due partly to the particular fluids used in those vehicles).
Warm it up a little, but beyond that, relax and enjoy it.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0