View Single Post
      06-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Joying 10.25" Android Head Unit Install - Non Idrive - Digital Audio Out & Carplay

Hi Guys,

So, I started with an Eonon unit a couple months ago. There were a number of pros & cons which I will lay out:

Pros:
  • BMW Specific Fitting & Harness
  • Cost Effective
  • Carplay Built In
  • Carplay Via Wire Loaded Very Quickly
  • Sound Quality Was Great
  • Apps Like Torque & Netflix Preloaded

Cons:
  • Screws for securing unit were too short and did not engage
  • Climate Control Relocation
  • New Location for Climate Control Doesn't Flow Well With Dash
  • Climate Control Must Be Physically Modified
  • Potential To Damage Dash Material
  • Unsecure Unit Is Safety Risk
  • Hardware Not Able To Keep Up With Unit 2gb Ram 32gb Storage
  • No Wireless Carplay Built In
  • No Digital Out
  • Weaker Processor (Quad Core)
  • Viewing Angle Quite Low

Ultimately, I was trying to get the Eonon unit secured and I had to push on the screen because there was no where else. The screen broke. I spoke to 2 other people with this unit and both had the same issues and one had a broken screen as well. I think with some longer screws and upgraded hardware the Eonon unit would do better.

Moving on, I researched a fair bit and started looking for a unit that would hit on points I wanted a little better. I found this Joying Universal unit and thought it was the best option. They do have model specific units that have most of the benefits I will list but I had the following criteria in my head:

• Mount Screen As High As Possible Without Permanent Modification
  • No Relocation Of Climate Controls
  • Built In Carplay
  • Largest Screen Possible
  • Best Hardware Specs Possible
  • Digital Out

Based on that I believe this unit has the best specs that fit our cars where function and aesthetics meet perfectly. The sound quality is amazing and a step up from any Bluetooth dongle or y cable for us non idrive guys. I want to upgrade to a DSP with digital in down the line but this is the first step. I have a custom diffuser coming that I wanted a back up camera for. So that's where this all started for me.

This is the unit I purchased.

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-10...lt-in-dsp.html

I made a quick DIY video on youtube and I will have a more in depth review explaining some things as a part 2.

Appreciate 3