01-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #28
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i xDrive GC (F06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
I looked into this for a short period of time before punting...

Here were my findings:

1) As far as hardware goes, you'll need the antennas, the door handles, and the module itself.

2) You'll need to code the car to enable CA to the VO.

3) CA Key - (Why I Punted)
A) You can get keys directly from BMW with the caveat that you have someone from BMW's side to officially add the CA option to your VIN's original VO. Once added as an official CA retrofit to your VIN's VO, you can order CA keys directly from the manufacturer. This proved to be the most expensive option not to mention the hurdle of finding someone that'd actually do it (adding the CA option to VO).
B) You can try to find used Keys from a salvaged car. You'll need the keys, the CAS, and the ECU. The ECU is tied to the CAS and the CAS is tied to the keys. They're all intertwined as they're all tied together with a secret marrying key. The only problem I have with this approach is that any OBD2 readings would yield an incorrect VIN which worries me for the yearly emissions testing for my state. If that weren't a problem, I'd go this route since it's plug and play!
C) You can buy a CAS programmer that will directly communicate to it from a bench (outside of the car). It involves soldering some wires to the freescale processor to decode the EEPROM on the board to obtain the marrying key. With the marrying key obtained you can then use a hitag2 key programmer to marry a virginized keyfob to your CAS module. Virginizing a keyfob is taking a used keyfob and replacing the one time write EEPROM with a new one.
D) Find a locksmith that has the tool to marry a virginized key to the CAS via OBD2. There are tools out there that will do this but due to the cost of the software and licensing, only professionals such as a locksmith could justify it's cost.

Step C was what I was planning on doing... Until I started reading reports of some CAS programmers bricking the CAS. I got scared sort of stopped looking at the retrofit. If someone could point me to such a locksmith local to the atlanta area as mentioned in D, I'm all ears!

I did all this research because I bought a e91 with one key. Since I was considering getting another non-CA key, I considered the CA retrofit.

In the end I punted because I really just wanted a cheap second key just in case I needed a spare in the event I lost the one I have. I then realized that I could just get a valet key directly from the dealership for ~$50 that'd start the car and manually unlock and lock it. Since it's just a beater car, I didn't want to spend too much money on it hence the project has halted for me.

Good luck on your endeavor! Please let me know if you get it working for a reasonable price!
Thank you for sharing. My thought was to find a salvage E92 (N54) that had the comfort access option and be able to buy the key Fobs and the CAS control units.

Right now I am trying to find the wiring harness that connects the antennas to the Passive GO Module. I can even find if there is a part number so I can order them.

I have been finding a complete car wiring harness from salvaged cars that had comfort access but everyone is trying to sell it as complete but all I need is the wiring harness related to the comfort access.