View Single Post
      09-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
And I regularly place the crossovers in the trunk. Placing them in the door subjects them to unneeded mechanical impact (door slamming), more humidity than they need to see (even with a vapor barrier), and worst of all, you can't get to the adjustments. If you have a crossover with one or two options, that may not be a big deal. If you have a crossover with 12 permutations, that may be a big deal.

The resistance of speaker wire - and yes, you do have to run new wire - is very low and will not change things enough to be a problem.

If you put the passive crossovers too close to the grounding bracket in the trunk, or some other sources of EMI, you can have RPM noise over the tweeters. Still not a reason to go into the doors.
2nd. I've put crossover in the trunk and under the rear seats before. As long as you're not using 20AWG speaker wire, I don't see what the issue would be and like VP said, you keep the crossovers away from potential water and vibration damage. It also makes perfect sense when the source of power for the speaker is coming from an amp in the trunk.