Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
No! Why would I do THAT?

It's an interesting thing though - the physics of it all. It's happened also on the freeway once or twice. Very conservative speed, coming down a slope, foot off the gas, and the rear tires loose traction because it can't find enough grip to continue to turn the motor (back-torque?). Depress the clutch and everything comes back in control. It's always a weird moment. And I always wonder how many snow-accidents could be avoided if people knew pushing the clutch in could create more traction. Ya' follow? Another benefit of a manual transmission I suppose. Wonder how DCT would handle the same situation.
It makes sense, but does not happen on snows as they are providing the necessary grip for the engine braking.

I have driven on summers once in the snow, and never will again. Its just not worth it. The fact that it took me an extra 100 feet to stop is what changed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCGoonski View Post
On the way back from downtown on Saturday, watched a guy (almost) lose it right in front of me. He was lucky not to hit anyone. I just slowed down and watched him slide all over the road.
It always makes me sad when I see people sliding all over the place and not understanding why/how its happening. Or not realizing that their bald summer tires will not help, no matter how many driven wheels they have.
You couldnt count how many BMW Xi cars would crash and they would blame the car. I would look at their tires and say, well you are still on summer tires. Most of the time the response was, well I put sand bags in the trunk!
Appreciate 0