PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by egybimmerdiy View Post
Hi Bendy22,

Thanks for quick reply.
Yes, Im pretty sure that the error message indicated that I had less than 1 quart left. Within minutes I went form being in the middle between the min and max points of the digital oil level range to being under the min point with the worlds (>1 qrt) appearing on the dashboard.

I didn't see any smoke coming form the back of the car and didn't hear any weird noises. The car drove just fine. I drove it for about 5 more min from the time the low oil level message came on to get home so hope I didn't f*&$ up the engine.
First, relax.

Second, do not undo any of the job you did.

You are misreading what the computer is telling you. It tells you that the oil level is 1 quart less than full, and asking you to add 1 quart. As others already posted it is like the dipstick used to be. It is showing the level of the last quarter.

Also the engine needs 7 qt of oil with each oil change. You put 6 qts, and now it is telling you that you need to add 1 qt more, that is just expected, nothing wrong there.

I don't know why you decided it would need 6 qts to fill.

And the oil sweating between the transmission bell housing and oil pan area, some of the oil that had been leaking goes there. Anyone who had leaking oil pan has some oil accumulated in there. This residual oil keeps coming out slowly after fixing the oil pan leak for a few days.

If you see oil there still coming out after a week or so, it may indicate you have rear crankshaft seal leaking.

So just add 1 more qt oil as the computer is telling you to the engine, and clean and watch out that area a week or so, if oil will stop coming out or not. If it keeps coming out there, you may, but necessarily, may rear seal issue.
Appreciate 0