08-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #29
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
New front SACHS oem-spec standard chassis shocks fitted yesterday inc. new Febi mounts, bump stops and protection/dust covers.

I changed the rears my self also with SACHS shocks.

Now, the ride is more controlled with greater absorption of the small road imperfections whilst maintaining impressive levels of waft.

There has been a significant reduction of "pothole explosions", maybe 30-40% better than before, but bearing in mind I am on 19" 225/35 and 255/30 I think it is fair play now.

However, I have noticed when going over speed bumps I get a boxy rattle every time (before and after changing shocks), so I am thinking whether this rattle is participating in the "pothole explosions"?

There are not many bad potholes in my local area...I have only experienced "pothole explosions" on maybe 2 or 3 specific streets. I drove over one of those streets after the new shocks and the "pothole explosion" was more of a loud thud rather than a loud bang like before.
Ok guys, an update.

When I got the front shocks installed, As I mentioned above, the ride became more controlled.

However, over the weekend I had a look under the bonnet to makesure the mounts were installed correctly in terms of the alignment pin. What I found was shocking....Both mounts were installed incorrectly as the alignment pin was not sitting in the hole, but actually protruding through the sheet metal near the front stud as a dent due to the 3 studs being tightened hence forcing the pin to dent through the sheetmetal!!

I then got my handy endoscope phone camera (7.99 off amazon and a must have!) and could actually see the alignment pin hidden under the sheetmetal.

Due to this incorrect installation, the mount were not sitting flush hence the ride felt more 'controlled' which I have to admit was more towards the firm side hence more road imperfections were being "noticed" belt felt better absorbed than before.

So, I thought, this may be affecting the ride comfort...so I called the garage, they said yes it has been installed wrong if the pin is not in its hole.

Got the car back yesterday and now the pins are in their holes AND I completely shocked and amazed at the ride now.

Much less noise over those sharp imperfections, much much more smooth, the waft actually feels more silky hence the seats feel more comfortable now. The front end of the car feels more confident over the first encounter with bumps. Wow, it has transformed the car and I am no longer regretting the 19" wheels and low profile tyres the car came with!

Not been over a pothole yet, but I have been driving the car since yesterday (when the mounts were installed correctly) and we have some very bad roads here in the UK and I am completely amazed at the ride...It feels like a different car...like I have downgraded to 17" rims with high profile tyres! The normal bangs and thuds I used to get in the car before are actually very well damped and quiter now.

After this experience, I can't admit that the BMW E9x SE suspension is under-damped...actually the opposite for me. Okay, the pothole explosions may still be there, but I am confident they will be quieter now and I don't mind the sacrifice of pothole explosions when the car drives this impressive.

I would definitely recommend SACHS oem-spec suspension as they have transformed the car. Mine has 19" rims and if the car provides this impressive level of comfort (IMO) it should offer even more comfort for those of you with 18" or lower rim sizes on a SE trim.
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00