Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner
Merv, I was kicking around in the UK section, and ran across a description of a problem that sounds much like your description. The suggestion in that thread was to have the actuator for the small turbo checked, as apparently this is a common problem (in the UK) on our engines. Since they have many more d's over there, this might be helpful.

Here's the thread for you to check out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637603

Note the post from Imran at Evolve, he knows of what he speaks.
Thanks for the tip! The link you provided was very informative. I haven't been able to schedule a time for the dealer to take the car in to get it worked on. I hope to get in the shop this week.

I was thinking of taking off my engine cover to check that all my vacuum hoses look good and intact. I can't really see the actuator with the engine cover on, so that would be a good time to take a look at my actuators.

There's a vacuum pump that's down by the turbos and it has a long threaded push rod. I'm not sure of it's immediate job but I've been able to move it up and down with my hand, though it feels like its got some resistance. While running the engine and revving it up to 2000-3000 rpm I never saw the push rod move at all. I was unsure if the engine had to be under load for the push rod move. What exactly does this vacuum pump do?

I'm pretty sure my second big turbo is functioning because after 2000-3000 rpm the torque kicks in. It's mostly around the low end like 1500-2000 rpm range that you hardly feel any boost. It just picks up lethargically most of the time.
Appreciate 0