Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Ask them to update your car modules to avoid any theft.

There is a lot of confusion around what is security update and how it works?

I will try to explain.

There are two modules which should be updated for the security purpose;

1- CAS: Vital: With updated software, you cannot clone a new key, till you insert you ket into the slot.

2- FRM: Important but not mandatory: With the updated software, it avoids the dropping of the window with the key/ other methods.

A good dealer should update both of these, but in common practice, I have seen some of them updating just CAS.

HTH.
Apologies for a bit of a thread resurrection here, but have a deposit down on my first BMW, an E92 M3, and having moved from 11 years of Subaru Impreza ownership it's alarmed me to see quite how bad standard security setup seems to be on these vehicles - the last thing I want to do is spend the most I've ever done on a car and have it nicked!

The one I've purchased is a 2012 model with E89X-11-09-503 "integration level" according to the dealer.
Whilst from what I can tell this addresses most of the earlier issues with gearbox, iDrive and so on, but the fact that the car's OBD2 port may still be vulnerable frightens me, and I've seen posts which say the BMW OBD2 fix only stops the windows rolling down and still doesn't prevent a key being cloned.

Can anyone confirm for certain for me whether this is or isn't true?
Securemycar have told me all cars remain vulnerable, but this contradicts that - obviously I'd prefer to have the cheaper and less hassle option of a software update on the car rather than punting £600 odd on an alarm system I might not need!
I can see it looks like it's possible to have chirps, flashes, siren volume and so on re-coded on the standard system anyway.

All help appreciated, be gentle I'm still learning all about these as they're a far more complex animal than the average Impreza .
Bmw says that car from 2012 onward cannot be stolen.
Actually they can but the device which helps you to clone the key is 10 times expensive than cloning kit for 07-2011 cars.

So being a 2012 decreases the chances of it being nicked 'technically' however being M3 and 2012 puts it to 'highly desirable cars' category.

My recommendations:
1- Dislock
2- Viper alarm for the peace of mind

If you do not have instant funds to go for number two then relocate the obd which is MUST on e-series.

Good luck.