View Single Post
      10-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #17
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Glow plug modules tend to be quite a common failure. If it fails, you'll have a rough idle when starting from cold. After around 30 secs it will clear and idle as normal. This can also cause the glow plugs to fail as well. It's worth noting that if you have a glow plug and/or the module fail, this will prevent a regen from taking place so would need to be addressed.
Glow plug modules can be picked up on eBay for around £70 If you know where to look. I got a genuine Beru unit for that price from Lithuania! Bmw wanted £116 for the same one. They can also be fitted without removing the intake manifold. It's very fiddly but is possible. I got my mate to do mine - took him about 15-20 mins. However, I believe on the older M57 engines, the intake has to be removed, but I'm not sure on that one.
Auto gearboxes are also worth servicing when they get to around 80-100k on the clock. The service kit is expensive but I've been told it's definitely a job well worth doing. It's on my to do list!
Intake manifolds and the egr valve can get clogged, so taking this off and cleaning might be a good idea.
I personally haven't done mine as I don't feel the need to yet. Mine is the 330d N57 and I had it mapped back in January, and when it was on the dyno everything was absolutely spot on - really nice smooth power and torque curves. So based on that I haven't bothered. I also had the egr mapped out so that it stays shut all the time now and thus should prevent any more clogging of the intake.
my new weekend car(335d) is getting gearbox done/vac lines/swirl flaps/remap etc etc on friday,,car drives good,,but as said it needs serviced the gearbox,,£400 for the whole job but i know some places charge £350
Appreciate 0