Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon- View Post
I drive a e60, hifi/non-logic.
Thanks. Have upgraded several of those.

Quote:

Well it's not that easy. 98% of the 4" woofers made are too deep to mount into my doors.
Uh, that's why I told you about a set that do.

Quote:
IThe specs on those rainbows you suggested actually look really good.

I have some focal components that really don't do it for me. They have a freq resp. at 120 Hz - 2.2 kHz those rainbows are 75-30,000 Hz.
I'm afraid I'm going to strongly disagree with a lot of what you think you know. Those specs don't mean a damned thing about how the speaker sounds, and comparing them is a waste of time - seriously. No frreq response without a stated deviation means anything, and most of the ones with the stated deviation are still made up by the MarCom department. Only certain engineering=driven companies publish useful specs.

Quote:

My favorite components were cdt es-62's with silk tweets. I strongly doubt a shallow 4" driver can take the place of a quality 6.5" midrange.
Actually, a 6.5" sucks as a midrange, ESPECIALLY off-axis. When a piston driver is playing notes that become high enough, relative to its diameter, the off-axis response decreases relative to is on-axis response. A 6.5 is good as a mid-bass.

Here is a freq response plot for a 6.5 driver from a very reputable engineering-driven manufacturer, Scan-Speak.

Note how the 0 degree, 30 degree, and 60 degree lines diverge above 1K. This isn't the speaker's fault - ALL 6.5 dynamic drivers suffer from this divergence. It's the laws of physics, Captain.

Midrange extends to 3K, and many tweeters won't play that low (the ones I like go lower, but many won't - and Focal definitely won't).

Quote:
I strongly doubt a shallow 4" driver can take the place of a quality 6.5" midrange.
Actually, a 6.5 can't take the place of a quality 4", no matter how you tweak it, especially if it's off axis. You are stuck on the 6/tweeter two-way model and you may want to look at the midwoofer/4" mid/tweeter 3-way model.

Quote:
Maybe I should fabricate some kick panels.
For your midbass, maybe.

Quote:
I will be adding an ms-8 eventually. Right now I am just struggling to find a setup I feel confident enough with to commit and move forward with my limited options.
You seem to be making this harder than it really is.

Quote:

I really have no desire for a subwoofer or a mono signal. In a lot of my music all a subwoofer picks up is a repetitive bass drum and becomes overwhelming and distracting. It sounds like shit to me
If a subwoofer plays your music and sounds like shit to you, your subwoofer is set up wrong (98% likelihood) or you really don't like your music the way it is recorded. I'm going with the probable cause, that you've heard poorly set-up subs.

Quote:
I don't want to drive around with 150w of bass drum constantly thumping up from under my ass.
I have 150W going to SWS-8 playing 150 and down at the moment, and I have absolutely no sensation that they are under my ass. Given the transfer function of leather, foam, and my ass, I suspect it would serve as a really good lowpass filter to any midrange I tried to run through it.

Quote:
A few Jehnert dealers in the UK told me they don't ship to the states. They make some really nice stuff. Do you know if they have any dealers in the US?
I guess you should contact 6spdcoupe, now, about Jehnert. He hasn't argued with you. He is also the guy you should contact about Rainbow, now, too.

Oh, and Earthquake, as I've said many times before, is a peaky woofer. But it sounds pretty darned good in my car with good DSP, the test MS-8 I put in got them to sound really good when it was in there, and it does happen to be pretty durable as well as fitting really well.

I think the stamped-frame Morels are better sounding, but in those enclosures they need EQ too. I think everything does. The Rainbow WOB200 is probably nice but I think needs a highpass.

You might want to go to Beach Autosound and talk to Tom.
Appreciate 0