View Single Post
      02-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #46
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think the speed limit was 85 in Kansas - so functionally almost a free-for-all American Autobahn (I hear in Texas it is 90?). I also think there is some romanticizing about the Autobahn - granted that they are better drivers in Europe, but it isn't like a gigantic country-wide track day. I've heard plenty of stories about commuters or delivery trucks on the Autobahn causing havoc by pulling out to pass or hogging lanes.
I don’t think that turned out well for Kansas drivers as it significantly increased accident rates wherever the speed limit was increased, so they dropped it back down.

I think the first couple of comments hit the nail on the head.

Too many morons on the road. The average driver here can barely stay within the lines of their lane for more than 10 seconds at a time. Even if you could filter out all of the incompetent people via a more rigorous and thorough driver’s education system, or just educate people how to be better drivers in general, I still wouldn’t feel safe traveling at autobahn speeds here, or most anywhere else I’ve been in the US. Some of the roads are actual pieces of shit....Roads are often allowed to get to sub par conditions. Whenever the roads are finally attended to, the repairs either take months, or look like a 5 year did it with silly puddy.

Here’s a perfect example of what some of the potholes I’ve seen look like on the highway just in the past couple of weeks.

Appreciate 0