View Single Post
      02-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFRoSTY View Post
I think I'd look to have more tolerance in torque for any future changes I may make so the spec 3+ kit looks like the best option for me.

I'd like to keep using a DMF as opposed to a SMF.

Just looking at costs I can get one either delivered to UK or from within the UK.

I believe the factory OEM DMF is a branded LUK part around £420.
You cannot use the factory DMFW past 500HP, it becomes imbalanced and will cause chronic misfires.

I always encourage folks to use the clutch kit based on their actual power output and goals. 3+ is a great clutch but it's made for applications that 2+ cannot hold. The 2+ has better drivability and life expectancy which is why we encourage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Go with what Jeff suggested. I am running 530 + whp with the same setup. If you are going to go high power, thus needing a Spec 3+ you will not be able to use the DMFW. The big power guys (600 +) fought with timing issues causing misses years ago. It was found that the DMFW was the cause. The rule of thumb is < 500 hp DMFW ok. > 500 SMFW is a must. For most street applications the Spec 2 + is the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
Ozzie and Jeff are right, you'll want a SMFW if you're chasing power.

FWIW, I'm running a 335is/550i w/ DMFW over 600wtq but I know it's a ticking time bomb. My plan for when it starts to go is mfactory steel smfw and either (a) twin-disc or (b) spec 3+
Only a matter of time for sure. Let us know when you're ready
Appreciate 0