09-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #279
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty335 View Post
Plad, you seem to suggest that BMW may have found an issue with the hydraulic valve that controls oil pressure early on and made a change...this is interesting. I pulled up a photo of the hydraulic valve:

It appears to be of very similar design and function as the VANOS solenoids for the n55, which have been known to "act up" or fail from time to time; these have also seen design and p/n revisions throughout their lifetime. Do you know if the "early n55" valve had any use in any other engines prior to n55? If not, this would be a very interesting find, indeed. Thanks for the post!
Yes thats exactly what i am theorizing and the reason why i brought it up is ; if anyone is going to go ahead and go through the trouble of replacing rod bearings as preventative maintenance i would 'update' this "hydraulic valve" (proportional solenoid). This is what i would do personally. IT just potentially gives you a better part. Not always is a part change for technical reasons and sometimes its just vendor related i understand that but we will never know why exactly they made the change. We never get such details.

As for your question no unfortunately i have not looked at this that deep.
Appreciate 0