View Single Post
      10-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg93 View Post
Hi everyone, I was searching around and see conflicting information about stage 2 clutches and people doing swaps and chatter and so forth.. Not really having any luck answering my questions.

I have a 2007 335i E90, and when the turbos start to get boost I feel like my clutch starts to slip, so its time for a new clutch, my question is this, would a oem equivalent clutch setup be able to handle a California emissions car, which may or may not see 100 or less ft lbs of torque added through tune and bolt ons?

Or can I get a stage 2 clutch, throw it on the factory dual mass flywheel and call it a day?

I don't want the car to make anymore noise like chatter, since I have either a bad cat, or a wastegate rattle on acceleration and takeoff, and I do daily the car. (Haven't checked out the cause too much yet)

I do want something grippy, but still derivable without making a ton of noise, idk how strong the oem clutches are, but slipping is a no go for me, can't have that
The Spec Stage 2+ mated with a DMFW will have no rattle and drive similar to stock with a sporty feel.

They are rated for 545 Torque. It's good for Stock Twins and even mild Single turbo and Twin Turbo Upgrade cars.

If you plan to make over 500HP/TQ you will need a Single Mass Flywheel as the DMFW becomes imbalanced on high HP setups.

There is a lot of misuse of the word chatter and rattle. The SMFW is what causes RATTLE noises. It's sometimes refereed to as "chatter" (on these forums) but it's actually rattle noise. It sounds like loose marbles in a can.

Chatter is typically engagement chatter, kind of like wheel hop but in the clutch as it slips. These cars typically don't have chatter issues but they will rattle with a SMFW. However, if you have MHD or other flash tunes, you can raise the idle and eliminate a majority of rattle noises.
Appreciate 0