View Single Post
      05-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #104
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Fwiw I think the 4l60 tables are just simplified to be more user friendly. The trans has adaptation values, torque management, power/tow/econ, etc. but there really is no point to get into all of the different individual force motor, etc maps as a user of you don't want to. The zf 6 speed only has another I think 2 solenoids in the valve body so controlling it really shouldn't be that different
I'll try to explain the difference between how the 4L60 shifts gears versus a 6HP28. The 4L60 shifts gears by changing one solenoid state per gear change. The 6HP28 shifts gears by changing two solenoid states per gear change. The 4L60 plays catch, the 6HP28 juggles. So, the adaption I was referring to was the adaption of sychronization of the solenoids - something the 4L60 doesn't do because it doesn't need to. That's why there are shift kits for 4L60s and not 6HP28s. The 6HP28 TCU just adapts around the modifications.

But you are right, if we had tuning software, the user interface would be simplified. It would be unlikely the output from such software would be a complete calibration. I suspect something more abbreviated is produced that only specifies limited changes in the full calibration. Still, I'll take whatever I can get.
Appreciate 0