View Single Post
      05-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #109
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Hooper, are you seeing things in there about limiting torque due to the trans fluid temp? I've been wondering about that and the practice of doing the 2nd gear brake boosted launches at the strip. I haven't measured the temp impact due to this, but I'm guessing it's pretty extreme, and I've recently been reading about other TCM's that de-fuel above certain threshold temps.
I am not seeing that in these maps, but these are probably not ALL of the modifiers in the TCM. Since this is a BETA program its likely they do not have it all figured out yet, there are still some maps that are not quite right.

That said, I think it would be worth logging. In my experience transmission fluid does not heat up very quickly when being pushed for a short term since there is such a large volume of fluid and fairly low flow rate. I think you would be surprised how low the fluid flow rate is through a transmission. Some specs I have seen call for 1L per 30 seconds at idle for a hose run from the cooler to a container. While idle obviously is not the max flow or pressure, it seems unlikely the flow is much more than 4x that, which would mean over a 1/4 mile pass you wouldnt even run the entire volume of fluid through once. With that WAG out of the way, it seems like it would be valuable to log that at some point. The hottest I have ever seen a transmission is when the TCC wasnt locking up at 75 in cruise control on the freeway, driving like an idiot for short term has given trans temps up to about 200, freeway cruise with TCC not working got to 230 after a couple minutes.
Appreciate 0