View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #27
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
My pump has a slight groan, the fluid is old, and the o-ring in the cap leaks. The tank is cheap enough that I figured I might as well just swap the tank instead of just the o-ring, and get a clean filter. Maybe a waste of 10 bucks, but *shrug*. I'll install it this week some time.

On mine, a bunch of suspension parts started going at 150k. Shocks and struts had been done at 130, but not the mounts... the upper mounts in the rear rusted out at 150 (new england car) but the rubber was also cracking and soft. Front upper and lower control arm bushings were also squishy, and were an easy swap. The control arms very noticeably tightened up the handling, and got rid of an annoying thump under hard braking.

I'm also thinking that now is a good time to start swapping out the 'lifetime' fluids... front and rear diff, transmission, transfer case, etc, so I'm getting started on those over the next few weeks. There's a bearing going in either the transmission or transfer case, and I'm hoping that in the process of replacing the oil i can figure out which one it is.
Leaving the original lifetime fluid in those probably didn't help the life of the bearing.

I also had to replace the front (xi) drive shaft around 130k. Not sure if yours is original, or if it is a common failure, but maybe try to wiggle those u-joints and check their condition the next time you're underneath it.
Appreciate 0