View Single Post
      06-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #34
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Wow, that must have been a long way toe out! Small wonder it was flighty. Glad you're moving in the right direction. ATW has a good section on toe - you should have a read of that; helped me actually cut through the 'toe out 4 lyf' hype
Turns out I needed about 1/2 turn on each adjuster to get to the factory spec for my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
It was at least 2.5mm out each side. Likely, a bit more. You were right about adding 1.7 degrees of camber - it affected the toe a lot!
Ok, following up on this with some helpful toe adjustment information for those DIY'ing at home.

Each full turn of the toe adjuster on each wheel results in about 3.5mm of toe movement at the diameter of the wheel. 1/2 turn = 1.75mm. 1/4 turn = .875mm.

Turn each toe adjuster 1 full turn and you get ~7mm toe movement total toe measured at the diameter of the wheels.

You would need to measure toe in the same way I did for these amounts/ratios to work. I cut some aluminum stock slightly longer than the diameter for the total tire diameter and placed a centerline that aligned with the crosshairs on the roundel. Place a riser (brick or wood) to prop the aluminum stock about 4' off the ground in the center of the tire. Balance the rod on the riser. Take two tape measures and measure the front and rear distances with the tape measures stretched under the car.

Pro tip: Use both tape measures to measure a common object and make sure they measure the same length. Likely, they will be slightly different. Factor this into your measurements.
Appreciate 0