07-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #32
Timothi2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
I would remove the remaining parts from the front of the sedan and hook the engine hoist to the engine and put some tension on it then supper the trans with a jack.

I don’t think the struts will clear the fenders unless you raise the car up higher. I would remove both struts.

Then remove all subframe bolts and transmission mount bolts and simultaneously lower the jack under the transmission and the hoist then roll it out of the front of the car.

As for install, just roll it under the wagon from the front and raise it all to bolt it up and attach everything else from the front.
If you have space, I would put them both nose to nose and as soon as the engine is out of the 335, rotate the whole assembly 180° and put it right into the wagon.

Short version for each car
Remove struts/anything holding the engine onto the car/steering column/cooling/ac parts in front of the engine.
Support transmission with jack
Hook up engine hoist and put tension on it
Remove trans mount bolts and subframe bolts
Lower both jack and hoist
Roll out the entire assembly.

That’s how I would do it, without a lift.
GL
Thanks for the tips! I was going to do pretty much exactly that, but I didn't think about the struts not clearing the fenders. I've got both cars parked right across from each other, as you said so it should be a straightforward pull and place into the other car. Hopefully I can get a good amount more work done in the next couple of days. I'm heading out to a church kids camp this Sunday where I'll be volunteering for a week!

Current: 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2012 335i Touring
Appreciate 0