edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
The problem with Miata or BRZ here is size of an engine. Track I am at is at 5,000ft and it is extremely challenging power wise due to air density and definitely most challenging track in North America when it comes to cooling (I am not aware of any other track that allows open lapping that is at higher altitude).
So, even if engines are slightly modified, more displacement and especially turbo are better. Problem with turbo is of course additional heat and again, cooling at this altitude.
But, I also run stock engine with no power modifications and two child seats in the back
Very good point, MOST quick miata's(like mine) run a fuck ton of boost like so the air density does have a huge effect. Cooling on them is pretty good(lots of bolt on effective mods) but then again altitude will work against you there. The only ones that get by that are the K-swap or the LS-swap ones.

Don't mean to shit on the thread but miatas have been the main core of track days for as long as I've known. Last few years prices have shot through the roof and the cos to risk ratio doesn't make sense. I honestly expected the 128 to take over that spot (BRZ has a boxer)
So, when I say I can take on Miata successfully I mean stock or just slightly modified. Now, going some serious stuff, that is another story. And I see a lot of them here and it is impossible to keep up with them in corners particularly.
Cooling wise, here it is impossible to do anything even remotely fun without radiator type oil cooler. Just ask unsuspecting VW GTI owner. I run 335 oil cooler and considering the fact that N52 doesn't have turbo, it is an overkill, but that is what you want here.
IMO 128 should be perfect track car. I might actually get myself one just for that. Strip down everything to bare bones, do some engine modifications and just enjoy.
Appreciate 0