07-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
Thanks for that. I guess I am trying to "time" the market and also manage the expectations that might come along with buying a close-to 100k mile Euro car.
Right on. Totally understand.

Regarding what to expect ... again anything at any time. Heck my 328i (330 tuned) I've already replaced my starter and needs a valve cover gasket and only has 38k miles ... got it at just over 29k miles ... replaced my starter at 36k, needed a VCG prior to that at about 34k but am holding out for a bit but doing it soon, just replaced rear window actuator at 38k)

The biggest thing the closer you are to 90k-100k miles for a 335 is turbos. When one starts to go, your resale will plummet. Since it's best to replace both turbos which is about $2k plus for installed "used" ones. It can be 2-3 times that amount or more for "new" turbos installed depending on indy or dealership repair.

Also ... water pump, thermostat, starter, injectors, sensors, and various gaskets (oil pan gaskets seem to be one that pops up a lot) ...

Basically ... if you're not keeping it for the long haul ... sell it as soon as you see the market rebound a bit. Personally I'd do eBay over Craigslist. If you're looking to parlay it into another car, trade might be a good option. It's not just any 335 ... it's an M-Sport which carries a bit more cache. It's got low enough miles that a dealer who moves it's fair share of "used" sports cars will give you top dollar as a trade, perhaps close to the lower end of a person-to person sale. Don't bother with CarMax ... they'll just low-ball you.

As for when to sell ... I'd say revisit the idea towards the end of September or beginning of October and give it until the beginning of November to sell. If not, primarily park it ... drive it a bit less than you already do, but still drive it ... cars hate being parked for too long. Then try again the very beginning of tax return season.

Definitely put new tires on the front before you sell it, but not right when you list it, they'll look a bit better to the eye with some miles on them. It will look better to buyers knowing it has "newer" tires on the front. Putting on new tires then selling right it might make someone wonder if you upkeep the car regularly ... or just do stuff when you have to.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 2
Jdub67987.50
BOOF-M34451.50