View Single Post
      09-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #32
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
your statement about the oil is exactly why. K&N's still come over oiled from the factory.

maybe if someone bought a KN washed it and re-oiled it you could avoid the issue, but who wants to do that.

-dry filters catch the dirt and also release some dirt if it stays on the surface.

-oiled filters also catch dirt, but they also have more of a tendency to hold surface dirt because it gets stuck to the oil. instead of filtering contaminates they can more likely clog from stuff getting stuck in the oil.

think about how many little rocks and dirt is in the air box when you check the filter. I'm not saying oiled filters are bad, but they do require more service. All filter media style has its time and place.
Each has their pro's vs cons. ATM uses an S&B oiled filter, not K&N. I have been running mine for 70K miles with 121K on original MAF. I wash and re-oil the the same filter every 15K and run a filter booty...no issues, nor have I heard of any fouled MAFs from running the oiled ATM set-up. Paper filter has to be replaced. That said our MAF is hit or miss on longevity and requires changing every 70-120k miles. I bought a spare MAF when it went on sale...still sitting in garage
Appreciate 0