02-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
TBH, I'm a little jealous of those of you with these installed - I've had mine for months (maybe the 1st batch?), and really owe Marty thanks (I should put up a free MILVs tune on Bimmerlabs.com), but here's my conundrum.. My E90 is the most reliable car I've ever owned. At 134k, it doesnt leak a drop from the top end (valve cover, OFH, PCV, head gasket - all bone dry - just looked a second ago). It's just so smooth and perfect - I just leave it be.

In my youth I would have approached this with reckless abandon, and swapped them in at 9pm on a dark tuesday night (probably on jackstands, in a gravel driveway, during a snowstorm - yes, I've been there), knowing I needed the car to get to work/school the next AM. Now, I have two spare cars and the E90 could be down for weeks without affecting my life, and I haven't made it happen.

Its not about time, parts, or ability.. I've had the valve cover gasket kit on my shelf somewhere since the day I bought this car (I read it was a problem - although neither of my ~100k N52s ever leaked). I could tune it myself in a hearbeat using (IMO) the best tools in the world. My young sons relish time spent in the garage (really gotta learn to stop saying "no" to them wanting to help).

Now that my E30 is a "toy" car; which is funnny because whenever a "reliable" car is down, the E30 is my go-to car for basic transport... I live and die by the rule "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Been burned a few times (like looking for a critical missing bolt at 2am in a snowstorm, *ahem*).

So here I am. A perfect, "high miles" (by some standards) 330i that i could add 10whp to for a $0 personal cost.. But I can't bring myself to do it. My only saving grace - two boys younger than 10 who believe my E30 is a "real" race car, waiting to be releashed from its cage one day again.

Run, don't walk - if you want a low cost mod (hell, even if you were paying shop rates on a VCG replacement), MILVs are the ticket. To those who have done it so far, may your balls of steel father many children.. Because most kids these days couldn't tell a screwdriver from a tampon dispenser.
Do you still have your track purposed e90?
Appreciate 0