03-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #345
Ralph335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Different time era...equipment gets better, players become stronger. Guarantee those old goalies in today's equipment would have been better...and today's hot shot goalies would look much like shit with the size of the pads, and lack of protection they had back then.

Skating players today have equipment that protects much better - at a fraction of the weight. Give McDavid larger gloves, stiffer, heaver equipment, baggy pants held up by suspenders and some weak leather weight skates, adding about 25lbs overall...that will show you how fast guys like Paul Coffee really were back then.

Can you imagine if Al Iafrate had a carbon fiber stick...sure as bald as that boy was...his shot would have made Chara's shot look average (even considering the fact the NHL allows him to use an illegal stick). To note, Iafrate was hitting 105 with a wood stick. The game's changed a ton...but I'd bet a younger Gretzky and Lemieux today would still dominate the NHL to high levels...as they too would gain all the advantages of technology.
Good point. Equipment is definitely better now. A lot of the old scorers would have definitely benefited from the new sticks and all the old superstars probably would still dominate. There's no questioning the lack of skill.

I guess I just mean goalie play is better. Even a league average goaltender right now is better than your best stand-up goalie from the past. They are just way more skilled in the butterfly style of play nowadays.