United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It does start failing gradually and does throw codes, except you need to scan the car with a BMW scan tool to see the codes. The codes do not throw the CEL because they are not emissions related. But you are correct the pump will eventually stop working and cause the engine to over heat.

To the OP. No one has an answer to your question because there are consistent factors that cause pump failure to point to to make a decision as to when the pump is starting to fail or will fail, other than scanning the car periodically to look for water pump failure codes. So replacing the pump pre-emptively is up to you. What I would do is have a qualified BMW independent repair shop do all the work you are planning rather than the dealer. The dealer will be much more expensive. A pump replacement (w/T-stat) should cost about $800 as a reasonable price.
Would I new pump be of a different quality and last longer than the original pump after being replaced? Also the dealer quoted me $475 for a new battery. Does that sound too high? Could an independent shop do the battery for me, even with the recoding of my car to recognize the battery?
Appreciate 0