View Single Post
      08-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
I think they are RIDS. Definitely not marring. I have tried to take a few pics with my phone camera and them don't show up. They feel shallow. I can't catch a nail on the paint.

I used the compound and finishing wax that came with the Meguiar's kit. Nothing else.

I will have to give that Ultima trim guard a shot. Back to Black really isn't working on severely faded plastic.
If they are RIDS.... one of the reason you are seeing them now versus before is that the swirls were covering them. Once the shallow swirls are gone, only the deeper defects remains. This is quite common generally in vehicles that are swirled-up badly.

I don't recommend chasing RIDS on a DD unless you know how much paint you are working with. If you must then get your paint measure prior to starting any aggressive process. 5 - 6 mils or 120 - 150 microns is healthy. Anything under 4 mils or 100 microns is iffy. To treat RIDS, you need to be strategic and surgical. The broad stroke approach generally removes way too much clear.

Ultima makes a nice product and if it still wouldn't work then you might want to consider a dye (Tuf Shine Black Restore Kit or Showroom New).